Answered By: Elizabeth Novara Last Updated: Apr 27, 2020 Views: 2301
Yes, we have the Baltimore News American photo archives, but we also have microfilm of the newspaper available in the Maryland Room of Hornbake Library.
For more information about the BNA photo archives, explore the BNA finding aid.
For more information about the microfilm holdings, see the catalog record for the The News American.
For more information about searching Maryland newspapers in general, see the Newspapers tab on the Maryland Room Reference Links Libguide.
Thank you for using AskUs!
- Why isn't this archive available through a paywall site?
- Hi Greg, The BNA Archives is not available through a subscription site for various reasons. The main reason is that the university does not have the copyright to these images in order to make them available either freely via the University Libraries Digital Collections or through a subscription site. Beyond the initial hurdle of copyright, a subscription database company would have to take an interest in this enormous collection and be willing to take on a digital project that would likely take years and lots of funding to complete. There are over 350,000 images int the collection which would need not only to be scanned (front and back) but also have searchable metadata created for each image. Finally, if the copyright hurdle can be overcome, the University Libraries may very well be interested in digitizing the materials ourselves through grant funding or other resources, so that we can make the images available to anyone in the general public who would want to research them. The majority of our materials in Special Collections are not available digitally, and this is true of most special collections libraries.
Other ways to reach us
UMD Ask Us is intended for current UMD faculty, staff and students or for those with questions regarding our unique resources and services.
We cannot respond to medical, legal, or tax-related questions.
You should receive a response within 2 business days with an answer or a referral to additional resources/department.
- phone icon General Information
- Calendar icon Subject Specialist Appointment
- File icon Research Guides
- Twitter icon icon@AskUMD
- email iconReport a technical issue